Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chili and Bread Bowls

Work was not all that bad yesterday - came home with $160! The boss' wife wasn't working, thank goodness! Today, I am ready for a day of relaxating with the husband! :) Headed to the vet at 11 to take Hemi - the new puppy- in for his shots. Then, I am coming home to cook! Thomas has been begging me to make chili - I don't make it when its hot out- so I have finally relented. I am making some bread bowls for the chili, as well, using my bread machine for the dough. Later tonight, we are headed to a friend's party, can't wait! Here is my chili and bread recipe!

Johnson No-Bean Beer Chili

2lbs lean meat - venison works best, but I am using 93/7 beef until Thomas gets a deer this fall.
1 can beer - Coors Light is my favorite
1 onion or 1 bag pearl onions
1 big can tomato juice
1 package Wick Fiowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit - I have to order this online

Brown the meat with the onion. Do not drain, if using lean meat! Add the beer and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomato juice and chili packet (as directions instruct). Simmer the entire chili for at least 30 minutes. An hour is better, to get the seasoning to combine! Serve with cheese, fritos or crackers, or bread!

Easy Bread Bowls

3t active yeast
1c warm water
1c warm milk
1/2c shortening
1/2c sugar
2 eggs
2t salt
6c all-purpose flour

Combine in bread machine. Mix with dough cycle. Take out and separate - I like big bowls, so I separate into fourths, you could easily get 6 bowls, though. Let sit in warm place until doubled, approx 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees, for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Cut a thin slice from the top and hollow out. Press the bread to the inside walls for reinforcement. Toss in the oven for anoth 10 minutes to warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment